Online Speaking & Pronunciation Course
By the end of the course the participants will have improved confidence, intelligibility and communicative competence in spoken English. Learners will be better equipped for academic and social life in an international setting and be better prepared for interviews and speaking tests.
The course aims to prepare students for academic life in UK and International boarding schools:
- To develop spoken fluency and confidence for a range of real- life situations that students will find themselves in
- To raise awareness of importance of various features of spoken English and develop some ability to use these features (connected speech, stress, intonation)
- To develop functional language awareness and use
- To improve spoken production of certain phonemes that may otherwise cause interference
The method used in the communicative approach and the students are expected to be active participants in a range of fun, communicative activities. The course will follow a syllabus that allows students to practice different pronunciation features based around specific vocabulary and functional language/ fixed expressed to allow them to complete a specific “real-life” task. A typical week will include some of the following: individual sounds work (minimal pairs), suprasegmental features (assimilation), chunking, intonation, word and sentence stress, some emphatic stress; recognition activities, practice activities, and a final task that includes all elements taught.
This will include speaking practice activities, listening to models, mingle activities, role plays and group activities. These will be covered across 3-4 modules:
- Living in the UK / travelling overseas
- School life
The curriculum has been developed for Chinese speakers, taking into account specific difficulties that these learners encounter in spoken English.